MGF and TF Treffen 2005

Wednesday August 31

Homewards but we can not pass Reims without a visit to the old Grand Prix Pits
Reims-Gueux The circuit at Reims was a spectacular triangular road course using public roads between the villages of Thillois & Gueux.
The circuit was first used in 1925 when the Automobile Club de Champagne organised the first Grand Prix de Marne. Seven years later the ACF used the same circuit for the Grand Prix de France and the track remained in use until 1966 when Jack Brabham scored a victory driving his own car.
It was a venue that often saw races decided by slipstreaming battles and in the quest for even greater speeds the organisers cut down trees and demolished houses to ease corners. The circuit was orginally named Reims-Gueux but changed names when the village was bypassed in 1952. The first race staged on the new circuit came in 1953 when Mike Hawthorn scored his first Grand Epreuve victory after a race-long battle with Juan Manuel Fangio. Five years later the circuit played host to the great Argentine's final race.
Sections of the track, especially around the pits area are still visible today although the circuit has been closed since 1970 when financial problems proved too much for the owners to overcome. During its long career the circuit witnessed some highs and lows from the victory for Giancarlo Baghetti in his debut race in 1961 to the tragic death of rising Italian star Luigi Musso in 1953.

with acknowledgements to:-
www.gpracing.net192.com

 
Just over 200 miles to Dunkerque and the ferry back to the UK

Back