The Royal Arsenal

Woolwich London SE18

A view of a part of the Royal Arsenal site along the south side of the River Thames.

Just visible to the north of the river are the old Victoria, Albert & George V docks now the London City Airport (LCY).

Moored just in front of the RA at the RA pier is the Artemis, a Dutch Barque which shortly after this picture was taken moved into the docks to be a part of the London Boat Show 2005.

Some of the historic listed buildings which are being converted into apartments.

The whole site is a conservation zone with probably more listed buildings on one site than anywhere else in the UK.

 

A view of the nearby Woolwich Free Ferry with one of the three ships that works the service.

In the background are the following:-

The Thames Barrier

The Millennium Dome

Canary Wharf

A view of the site from the river showing the new Royal Arsenal Pier where an extension to the existing Thames Fast Ferry service now calls.
Building 47 - one of the buildings in the Grand Store complex formerly used as a military supply warehouse and now converted into 50 apartments.
Building 47 with Building 46 a wing of the original Grand Store in the background
Building 46 - the west wing of the Grand Store.

Dial Square - Formerly Known as the 'Great Pile' Built between 1717 and 1720 with the arch and dial being added in 1764.

The buildings were part of the expansion of the Arsenal when the Board of Ordnance moved their Founding operations to Woolwich after the great explosion at Moorfields.

 

More recently a football team known as Dial Square FC was formed in 1886 by a group of machinists working on the site. This team, which played at nearby Plumstead, later changed its name and moved to North London, becoming Arsenal Football Club.

Interior view of our apartment's living room
Tall Ships on Royal Arsenal Pier
Tall Ships from window

Interior view from a different angle

 

Back